As a photographer educator, one of the questions I get asked the most from other photographers as they prepare to shoot their first (or 17th) wedding is “what does your morning look like before you head to shoot the wedding?!” Well, my friends, I am here to let you in on what my day looks like before I head out the door for a wedding.
Because weddings can be at any time during the day, or different couples may want me to be at their venue at different times, no “wedding day” looks the same. I don’t have things organized in a timeline; I have my morning organized in a list of what I need to do to make sure I am completely present during my couple’s big day.
- Hydrate the day before/night before. Even though the night before a wedding may be a Friday where I could curl up on the couch with a movie and wine with my husband, opting for water makes me feel so much better the next day.
- Remain Horizontal (for as long as humanly possible) – Seriously. This is tied for #1. I do my best to stay in bed for as long as my body will let me.
- Shower. I make sure that I either shower the night before or right away in the morning to allow my hair to have time to dry.
- Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate. The day before, the day of, always. Hydration is KEY.
- Eat a good breakfast. This one is hard for me. I’m not a big breakfast eater, but I know how important it is that my body is nourished with foods that are going to keep me feeling full all day.
- Go about my day. Again, depending on what time I need to be at the venue, I use the time before to play catch up around the apartment, spend time with Jeffrey, or cuddle with my cat Mia. I feel much calmer when I have let my mind rest while doing household tasks.
- Check my gear & bag for the 3rd time. I can seriously never check my gear enough. I make sure all of my batteries have charged and that I have all the gear that I might need. Just to make sure.
- Start getting ready. I love to take my time while getting ready. I spend some very intentional time while doing my hair and makeup just praying over the couple that is about to get married. I pray over their marriage, and I continue to hydrate of course.
- Get dressed. I get dressed in an outfit that I am comfortable in and able to move around it. I also pack pretty much an “extra” of everything. A sweater maybe, other shoes in case the ones I am wearing get muddy or become uncomfortable.
- Pack my snacks. This should probably be number one because I need to make sure I have snacks and extra water bottles.
- Head out the door. It’s go-time! I am one of those people that is always at least 15 minutes early.
What’s your morning routine look like for the day of a wedding?! I would love to hear. Drop yours below 🙂
A creative wedding and engagement photographer based in Orange County, California. Capturing your moments to last lifetimes. Let’s do this! I'm so dang excited.