Hey Alexa, play California Love by 2Pac + Dr. Dre!
If you didn’t know, I am not originally from California. I was raised in Minnesota and moved to sunny California in the fall of 2014 for college. Eight years later, I am still so happy to call this place “home”. It seems like everybody dreams about moving to California (especially when battling those cold Winter months). So if that’s you… stick around! Here are:
5 Things I Overlooked Moving from the Midwest to California
- Weather – It’s no surprise that weather is the number 1 difference when it comes to moving from Minnesota to California. And yes, it’s true when people say California is always sunny. As much as I love the “sunny & 75º” days, I find myself missing the seasons (especially Fall).
- My Accent – Apparently I had an accent when I first moved to California. I’m sure there are still things I say that sound very “Midwestern”, but for the most part, I’ve learned how to pronounce words differently. The bag vs. beg debate is very real (iykyk).
- Pace of Life – Growing up in Minnesota, life was always pretty low-key. I did grow up in a suburb of the Twin Cities, but it seems like throughout the land of 10,000 lakes, things just move a little bit slower. In California, it is quite the opposite! Life is quick and fast paced. The hustle culture is very real here!
- Cost of Living – It is no secret that it is EXPENSIVE to live in California. Just looking at the hard numbers, California’s cost of living is a whopping 38% higher than the average city in the US. And if that’s not convincing enough… of the Top 10 Most Expensive Cities in the US, 5 of the 10 cities listed are located in California. ‘Nuff said.
- Driving Rules – Believe it or not, driving is different in California. It is so different that I had to take a course about the differences before I took my California driving license test. Let me know below if you’re curious what those differences are!
All in all, I am SO thankful to live in California. Not only did I meet my husband here, but this place honestly feels like home. I love this place so much that I am usually found trying to convince my friends to move here. 😉 Don’t worry, I’m sure I’ll wear them down eventually!
If you’d like to keep up with my life in California (and my travels!), be sure to follow me on Instagram @sarahyatesphoto.